Shallots? (onions are so much cheaper :P)
Dill? I know that's not weird, but I really HATE the flavor of dill. I have no idea why....it's such a common ingredient, but the taste is so off putting to me.
I used to have a subscription to the Rachael Ray magazine a few years ago, and had saved all the magazines. Now that I have 2 (well, 1 and a half) kids I needed more space on the bookshelf! So I've been going through and pulling out recipes that I'd actually make.
This Tex Mex Cheesesteak I made last night, with a few modifications.
I have to say, I think it's better with my modifications, even if I've never had it the normal way :P Craig said "See this is the stuff I like, not things with fruit". If I made black bean tacos with pineapple, he'd say "these are ok, but I like regular better". AAAHHHHHH. He just likes boring 'ol same things, while I like fun and new foods. *sobs*
He doesnt like sweet potatoes or pumpkin, but as soon as I see pumpkin in the store I'm cooking with it....I'm pregnant and I'm the cook so we are having what I want sometimes! ;)
Here is the original. Here is my recipe:
- 2 Hass avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt - I used sea salt
- 4 soft hoagie or kaiser rolls, split (toasted if desired). I used french.
- One 12.25-ounce box thawed frozen steak for cheesesteaks, such as Steak-umm
- 1 small onion chopped into strips
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 ounces Jack cheese, 3 oz cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 tomato, sliced, for serving
- 1 tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp cumin
2) Add the butter and onion to the saute pan and saute until onions start to soften. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Cook 3 portions of steak over medium-high heat, seasoning lightly with all the seasonings, for 1 minute. Flip the meat, sprinkle with some cheese and push off to the side of the pan. Continue adding meat, seasonings and cheese to the skillet until all of the meat is cooked and topped with cheese.
3) Place a few tomato slices on each roll bottom. Divide the steak among the 4 sandwiches and set the roll tops into place.
You could add hot sauce and use pepper jack cheese like the recipe called for, but I wanted to make sure Ethan could have some.
He did have a few bites!
These seriously are so amazingly good, I'll probably be making them again next week.